Friday, September 30, 2011

High School dreams sometimes become a harsh not such a good idea reality

I don't know why but for some reason when I was in high school I always wanted to work at Kinko's (or some other kind copy store) or Jamba Juice. It's obvious that I only wanted to work at Jamba Juice because of the way that it smelled, but the copy store does not have that same affect on me as far as aroma's go. Nor was I ever in some great need to make copies all of the time, I just wanted to work there. I can/have satisfied my wanting to work at Jamba Juice high school dream job just by going in to purchase one and soaking in the sweet aroma of it all. I have sabotaged my high school dream of wanting to work at a copy store today while at my actual job.

Here is what happened. . . For work I have to make and submit weekly lesson plans to my boss. I typed up my whole lesson plan, printed it off to hang in my classroom, got distracted by doing something else, then went back to the computer to submit my plan to my boss and it was gone from the computer. I was getting frustrated because I couldn't find what I had already done and did not want to re-do it all. My wonderful co-worker suggested that I just make another copy of the one I had printed off and give my boss a hard copy. (Why didn't I think of that?!?!)

On my way to the copy machine I kept repeating the copy code in my head to unlock the machine to make copies. I step up to the machine, type in the code and push the copy button. Simple enough right?!?!

While standing there ready to retreave my one copy I was once again distracted. This time it was by a cute boy! Don't worry he was only about 3 years old, but so adorable. As I was admiring him I hear this really loud and fast clicking sound. I think to myself, humm. . . that's weird. Then I look down and realize I am making around 600 copies! AHHH!!!! The copy machine was already unlocked by the previous user and I didn't know. Therefore when I typed in the code I was actually typing in how many copies I wanted.

As I frantically start pushing the cancel button nothing happened. . . at this point I have already made over 100 copies. For some reason I figure that if I keep pushing the cancel button that has not worked previously to cancel it, somehow it will work the more times I push it. But no, that's not how it worked. Another teacher walks by and I ask her to help me in my frantic state to stop the copy machine! As she sees that over 600 copies is not what I had in mind she starts pushing the same cancel button that I had tried multiple times, and it does not work for her either. She starts pushing almost every button on the control panel and it still does not stop it. Then she has the genius idea to just open the paper drawer. Eventually that stopped it.

Ha ha I had a huge stack of lesson plans now. I was tempted to be a brat and turn the whole stack into my boss when he only just needed one but then decided against it. He doesn't need to know that I wasted all of that paper, and I perhaps would not think it's as funny as I do.

Anyway, after that little adventure I decided my high school dream of being a copy machine employee was not such a good idea after all.

1 comment: